Meter and Meter Readings
How do I read my meter?
- Read from left to right
- The top reading in this example is 450
- The bottom reading is 1906
- Ignore the red numbers
- If your dial meter has the two top dials in red, ignore them
- Take reading from the bottom set of dials
- Note the direction in which each dial is moving
- Take the number that the dial has just passed
- The reading for the dial meter in this example is 9704
- Digits that are red or highlighted in red represent decimal places and can be ignored
- Show readings for more than one meter
- View the readings by pushing a button or scrolling automatically
- The display will show a total reading of the two or more meters combined. Only send the individual readings
- If your meter is high up, make sure you can reach it safely
- Call an electrician if there are any loose or exposed wires
Do I have to read my own meter or will Sainsbury's Energy read it for me?
We'll give you the option to log into your online account to enter your meter readings as often as you like. This will mean you can track your energy usage and make sure your bills are an accurate reflection of how much you're actually using. But regardless of whether you do this or not, we’ll still need to read your meter as well. We aim to read meters on a half-yearly basis depending on what type of meter you have and where you live. If your meter is located inside your home we’ll need to arrange access with you.
Is the tariff available to customers that have a Pre-payment meter?
Unfortunately not - our tariff is only available to customers with standard credit, restricted credit or Economy 7 credit meters.
Will my Smart meter work with Sainsbury's Energy?
As with other energy suppliers, if you've got a Smart meter some, or in other cases maybe all, features may stop working when you switch to us from another supplier. If you lose the features of your Smart meter, it'll still work as a normal meter and you'll be able to see how much energy you're using online.
If you haven't got a Smart meter, we’ll keep you updated and let you know when changing to a smart meter is an option for you.