Protecting your privacy
This policy applies to personal information we hold about individuals, sole traders and partnerships. It doesn’t apply to information we hold about companies and other organisations.
Sainsburysenergy.com is brought to you by British Gas as licensed by Sainsbury's to provide gas or electricity (or both) under the Sainsbury's Energy brand. British Gas is a subsidiary of Centrica plc. Sainsbury's Energy, British Gas and Centrica plc believe it is important to protect your privacy, and so we’re committed to giving you a personalised service that meets your needs in a way that also protects that privacy.
How we collect and use information
This policy explains how we may collect information about you and then use it to meet your needs. It also explains some of the security measures we take to protect your privacy, and tells you certain things we won’t do.
When we first obtain personal information from you, or when you take a new service or product from us, we’ll give you the opportunity to tell us if you do or don’t want to receive information from us about other services or products. You can normally do this by ticking a box on an application form or contract. You may change your mind at any time by emailing us at the address below.
1. Using your personal information
1.1 We, Sainsbury's and our agents may use your information to:
When we contact you, we may use any information we hold about you to do so. So we and Sainsbury's may contact you by email, phone, text message or other forms of electronic communications (such as using smart meters) or by visiting you. If we’re contacting you to tell you about any offers, as far as possible, we’ll do so in line with how you’ve told us you prefer to receive marketing information (your recorded marketing preferences). You can ask us not to send you any information on our offers at any time by contacting us and giving us your account details.
3. Disclosing Information
3.1 We may allow other people and organisations to use information we hold about you (including other Centrica Group companies such as those using the British Gas, Scottish Gas and Dyno Group brands and Sainsbury's):
- to provide services you’ve asked for, which may include providing information to members of your family or household, anyone acting on your behalf or other people who may be interested (such as landlords or letting agents);
- as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses;
- to help to prevent and detect debt, fraud, or loss (for example by giving this information to a credit-reference agency) which is described in more detail below;
- if you don’t pay your debt, we may transfer your debt to another organisation and give them details about you and that debt;
- if we’ve been asked (for example by Ofgem or a lawyer) to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes;
- as part of current or future legal action;
- as part of government data-sharing initiatives, for example, those designed to help stop fuel poverty (where people cannot afford to pay for heating and electricity);
- to help manage any loyalty or rewards schemes; or
- if you hold an insurance policy with us, to pass information to an insurer to manage your insurance policy (including underwriting and claims, to help develop new services and to assess financial and insurance risk).
3.2 From time to time these other people or organisations maybe outside the European Economic Area (EEA), and as a result we may pass your information to countries that don’t have the same standards or protection for personal information as the UK.
3.3 If we suspect someone has committed fraud or stolen energy by tampering or with the meter or diverting the energy supply, we’ll record these details on your account record and may share this information with Ofgem and other people who are interested (such as other energy suppliers, landlords and housing associations). We may use this information to make decisions about you, your character, how likely we think you are to pay for your gas or electricity (or both) and future energy services. This may include recording sensitive personal information such as criminal offences you have been accused of. Also if the gas or electricity supply to your property has previously been tampered with or if gas or electricity has been stolen, or we suspect it has been stolen, we may take this into account when we decide what products or services we can offer you and the terms and conditions we give you.
3.5 If we believe that you (or a member of your household) need extra care (for example, because of your age, health, disability or financial circumstances), we may record this in the information we hold about you. We’ll use this information so that we do not stop your supply. We may share your information with:
- social services, charities, healthcare and other support organisations, if we believe at any time that they may be able to help you, or the other members of your household, by making sure there is a gas or electricity supply to your home;
- other energy suppliers if we believe you are considering changing supplier (we assess which customers need extra care and record and share this information in line with the Energy Retail Association 'safety net procedures'); and
- the relevant gas transporter, metering agents or network operator.
4 If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that you’ve given them the information set out in this document, and that they have given permission for us to use their personal information in the way we’ve described in clause 10. If you give us sensitive information about yourself or other people (such as health details or details of any criminal convictions of members of your household), you agree (and confirm that the person the information is about has agreed) that we can use this information in the way set out in this document.
5 You’re entitled to have a copy of the information we hold on you and to have any inaccurate information corrected. We may charge a small fee for providing a copy of any information we hold about you. For more information about this please contact our Privacy Unit at Lakeside West, 30 The Causeway, Staines, TW18 3BY. Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Protecting information
We have strict security measures to protect personal information. This includes following certain procedures (for example, checking your identity when you phone us) and encrypting (encoding) data on our websites.
5. The Internet
If you communicate with us using the internet, we may occasionally email you about our services and products. When you first give us personal information through our website, we’ll normally give you the opportunity to say whether you’d prefer us not to contact you by email. However, you can always send us an email (at the address set out below) at any time if you change your mind.
Please remember that communications over the Internet, such as emails and webmails (messages sent through a website), are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before they are delivered - this is the nature of the Internet. We can’t accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
We may use 'cookies' to monitor how people use our site. This helps us to understand how our customers and potential customers use our website so we can develop and improve the design, layout and function of the sites. A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive which records how you have used a website. This means that when you go back to that website, it can give you tailored options based on the information it has stored about your last visit. You can normally alter the settings of your browser to prevent it from accepting cookies.
We use 'cookies' on our site. Visit our cookies policy to find out more and manage cookies.
8. Further Information
We may amend this policy from time to time, in which case we’ll publish the amended version on our website, and you can ask us for a copy by writing to the above address or by emailing us at email@example.com.